Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Laughable language of a two-year-old

Here's our little chatter man just chillin’ on a phone call. He likes to talk on the phone far more than a two-year-old boy should. It seems that on a daily basis Ethan has some new word or phrase that is added to his ever-expanding vocabulary. At times these can be frustrating, humorous, sweet, and everywhere in between.

Some of his favorite phrases of late include the oh so independent, “I do it!” or “watch dis” for every little thing he’s doing. The frustrating “pwobwy (translated probably),” which seems to be his answer for everything. When I tried to clarify, “do you mean probably yes, or probably no?” his replies with “maybe.” What?? Do Jairo and I speak in such vague terms? Then we have the “NO WAY mom” response to such simple questions as, “would you like some lunch” or “do you want to go to the park?” You would think I just offered him poison by the tone he uses. My favorite is when I give him an instruction such as, “you have 5 more minutes then time for bed, got it?” He responds with a slow, “goooot iiiitt” to which, if only I could see his face, I’m sure his eyes would be rolling like a slot machine. I can’t wait for that same response as a teenager.

Of course, there are plenty of sweet little words like, “luv u mommy” or “miss you” as he says good night. There is also the cute little way he comes to comfort me when I stub my toe or cut the corner too close and hit the wall (unfortunately these things happen to me more often than you think). He’ll come over and put his hand on my back, pull his face close to mine, and with a sympathetic voice and puppy dog eyes say, “I soorrry. Kiss it?” Then he leans over to give me a kiss. Melts my heart!

3 comments:

bryn said...

It is official . . . he is too freakin' cute. They get so big and with big personalities to match so quickly. Enjoy it!

Cory and Shelley said...

How adorable! It's amazing how quick they can get our tempers up and our mood down, and then out of no where they will melt our hearts! What a sweet heart your little guy is! We sure miss you...thanks for the Christmas card!

The Nedrys said...

Such an adorable picture! He is a keeper!