One thing that is for sure, you can find all kinds of entrepreneurs in Colombia. While cell phones are common in Colombia, not everyone has one like here in the U.S. But never fear because you’re sure to run into “pay by the minute” cells all around town. I snapped this picture on our trip to downtown Bogotá to a commercial area called San Victorino. These cell phone ‘booths’ are all over. You just walk up to the guy in the middle, ask for a phone, make your call, and pay him when you’re done - quite convenient if you ask me. As you can see, precautions are in place so people don’t run off with the phones.
One of my favorite day trips from Bogotá is to the town of Sopó. It’s a beautiful town against the mountains north of Bogotá. We usually make the trip there to visit the Alpina factory where they make delicious yogurts, cheeses, and desserts. Next to the factory is this new cabana where you can purchase some of their treats and sit outside and enjoy. I had the best cream puff ever!
At the Alpina Cabana in Sopó with Jairo's aunt Yolanda and her daughter Valerie.
We were also able to take a short weekend trip to Melgar. This is a small town about 60 miles Southwest of Bogotá. I have to admit that it seemed much further than 60 miles because it takes about 3 hours to make the trip because the terrain cover many steep mountain ranges so your traveling on two-lane roads up and down steep curvy mountains. It is a beautiful drive. In Melgar we enjoyed nice HOT weather so we spent lots of time in the pool soaking in the sun … although I packed on the sun block so I’m sure you couldn’t tell! 

At the hotel in Melgar we found this tree with these amazing flowers that covered the ground below in a beautiful fuchsia that caught Ethan's attention. I still have yet to find the name of this tree. Any arborists out there?
Last, Ethan enjoyed meeting his grandfather, great-grandpa and great-grandma and many aunts, uncles and cousins. He had lots of fun getting to know everyone and of course enjoyed all the attention.
Us with Jairo's grandparents Juancho and Pepita.
Ethan playing with his grandpa Jairo.
Fingerpainting with Ethan's cousin Valerie.







5 comments:
Beautiful Colombia photos. I think the cell phone thing is a great idea. I love that Ethan's having such an international upbringing.
I'm glad you guys had such a good time! The cell phone picture is awesome!
what a completely beautiful place! seems like such a fun trip.
Wow. I love hearing about it and seeing pictures. That town and tree are gorgeous.
What a fun place to visit! I really miss you guys, and I know Ryan misses his buddy Ethan!
Post a Comment